Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Senior Year


With eyes wide open
A muffled cry in the night
Another hand placed over another mouth
Silent tears of pain
Drowning out the hope

The perception that life is beautiful,
Ripped away in an instant
Stolen
By the one you trusted

Disgust
Runs through the veins
Weighing heavy on a shattered heart

Filth
No matter how hard you scrub
It never goes away
It is a part of you
An inducible reminder

Scars
Bring you back to that moment
You can’t fight it
A constant reminder of what once was
What will never be

Despair
Spills through your mind
Consuming you
Making you sick to your stomach
But you can’t purge pain

You can’t escape the fear you feel
At the sound of his name
The panic
As he walks past you
As if nothing happened
As if the faint smell of alcohol and entitlement
That trickled his breath
Never violated you
That when you said no
He didn’t hold your hands above your head
And when his hot breathe
Traced your body
It didn’t knock all of the life out of you

 There is no running,
No escape

You live a nightmare
With eyes wide open
One where you lie in a web of deceit
An uphill battle you fight alone
A secret burden on your back

Every night you pray for courage,
Searching for the strength to keep going
Moving forward
One step at a time
The only way you know how
Slowly pushing onwards
In pursuit of a former life

Speaking of a truth
That once choked you
Living half alive
With an emptiness
You don’t how to fill


Analysis
My senior year has been the  most fun year writing wise for me. I was able to explore so many different forms of writing through my journal entries and prompts which really helped me grow as a writer. I also became very good at showing and not telling: a skill that I have always struggled to master. I learned that i really enjoy to write poetry which is something I never thought in a million years that i would. I learned to be confident with my work, and not to second guess myself. There are so many pieces that I wrote this past semester that I am really proud of but I never would have been able to write them if I hadn't have pushed myself to be better these past few years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment